Raheem Farhan Bashir 
               
My Top 5 Apps 

Introduction
The five apps I used the most are (1) theScore, (2) Whatsapp, (3) Google Maps, (4) Microsoft Teams App, and (5) the George Brown College app. The Score is a social sports app, that I look up on my spare time. Whatsapp and Microsoft Teams App are both apps used for group work for teleconference calls between group members and Google Maps is a locations app that helps me locate places to visit or the interviewer’s workplace. Lastly, the GBC app is used for anything regarding George Brown College, including finding my courses classroom numbers. For all these apps I use my iPhone to access them.


theScore Micro moments
The most important micromoment on theScore is I-Want-to-Know. I-Want-to-Know what time the Raptors are playing, I want to know the play-by-play of the NBA game, and I want to know who scored between the Leafs and the Bruins.



                                                                   Toronto Maple Leafs logo by the NHL

theScore Story

For example, I was looking at a Raptors playoff game against the Miami Heat, and there were losing with a few minutes to go. I was checking my iPhone the whole time and the Raptors won by a few points against the Miami Heat, it was an amazing experience that you cannot get except watching the game live.




          DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry, two key players on the Raptors playoffs win against the Miami  Heat by RaptorsHQ

I-Want-to-Browse Micro-moment

Furthermore, theScore allows me to I-Want-to-Browse without browsing the web. The Score even allows me to look at the latest news in sports, whether that is with a pro sports league or a pro sports team like the Raptors, or the NBA for example.




                                                                   TheScore App picture by theScore

Benefits of theScore

TheScore has changed how I look for sports news on a mobile phone, before I had to look up the mobile web to look up only a fraction of sports news that I can find on theScore. They have everything I want whenever I want.

theScore’s Mobile Friction




Furthermore, I never had any mobile friction with this app. This app is fully functional and has never let me down once.

theScore’s Marketer Objective
A marketer would look at this app and add a few more sports leagues with latest updates on theScore. Pro sports leagues exist in Canada like GT20 Canada (Cricket), the Canadian Premier League (soccer), and the National Basketball League of Canada and the Canadian Elite Basketball League (basketball).



theScore Research

I would do a homogenous focus groups on how popular these pro sports leagues are in Canada and use that as primary research. Then I would do research on attendances of these leagues and see how popular sports like soccer, basketball, and cricket are in Canada for theScore app.

                                                           Canadian cricket team provided by Stadium Journey

This is the only app that I use 12 months a year, but the other app that takes most of my time is called WhatsApp and when I am in college it is the main app I use for group meetings and conference calls.

WhatsApps Type and Us

WhatsApp is predominately my college work web which I use a lot for teleconference calls and uploading group work. You can form many different groups with WhatsApp including a group where you just talk about travel and another about sharing information on exams and tests.


                                                   WhatsApp Call from Android Pit

The other 5-10% of my time I use whatsapp as a social family chat of all the most interesting topics happening each day regarding sports and politics.




                          WhatsApp Messenger logo from Google Play

WhatsApp Micro-moments

I-Want-to-Know what parts my group members are doing and which parts of the project I am doing. Furthermore, I-Want-to-Know on questions of assignments or essays I sometimes ask my group members. Furthermore, Whatsapp allows a person to give a link and instantly enters the mobile web, which is a neat feature and expands Whatsapp beyond the mobile app itself with the What-to-Browse feature.




                                                               WhatsApp Web Connection Screen

When my WhatsApp had an update late last year, I could not use my iphone. I ended up having to delete most of my memory on my mobile phone to access the WhatsApp.

WhatsApp Marketer’s Experience

If I was a marketer, I would try and find a way to include teleconference calls that have more than 4 people. The Whatsapp calls limit is four people which does not work well with group projects of 5 or more people. It would enhance the experience of whatsapp and make conference calls feature much more popular on Whatsapp. Microsoft Teams app allows someone to do this.


                                                               Microsoft Teams App logo from Wikipedia

Microsoft Teams Type and Use

Microsoft Teams App is used for mainly college work purposes. I have only started using this app recently, so I really do not have any stories on this app.

Microsoft Teams Micro Moments

I can find the latest I-Have-to-Know features of what my group members are posting just like on WhatsApp. It also has the I-Have-to-Browse feature that works exactly like WhatsApp does.                            

                                                      Microsoft Teams App on Several Platforms by Microsoft

The main difference though is that Microsoft Teams allows the I-Want-A-Group-Chat to extend beyond 4 people, which makes teleconferences a much more useful feature on Microsoft Teams then WhatsApp. Again, I notice no mobile friction with Microsoft App as it is easy to use.

Microsoft Team Marketer’s Objective

As a marketer, I would want to group these chats into folders, that way the app will be more mobile friendly and work and social related stuff would be separated. It makes it easier to send links to these chats as well and is less prone to making a mistake.

Google Maps Types and Use

Google Maps is the fourth app that I use. Google Maps is used for location purposes and only really use it when walking or in the car.
                                                                                  Google Map



Google Maps Micro moments

Google Maps is used for I-Want-to-Go moments, in order to locate the employer’s workplaces or restaurant locations. Google Maps use the linear disclosure, which makes it easier to get to the places I want to get to.

Google Maps Stories

For example, I used Google Maps to get to Little India from Danforth Go Train station, which proved useful as we arrived there safely and ate delicious food at Lahore Tikka House at Little India.
                               
                  Lahore Tikka House from Yelp

Furthermore, the I-Want-to-Know is used as a secondary feature on google maps for finding phone numbers and calling these phone numbers to order food or an appointment while in the car.

Google Maps Marketer’s Objective

Marketers need to find a way to make the batteries last more on Google Maps. When I use it for a few hours, the batteries on my iPhone is almost out of batteries. It is an incredibly useful app but is not an app I want to use often, especially with it taking so much battery life away from Google Maps. Those are the four main apps that I use for everyday life. There are a few other apps I use, but very infrequently, an example of one is the George Brown College app.


                                                                       George Brown College App from App Store Preview

George Brown College App Purpose and Type

The George Brown College (GBC) app is an app used for college purposes at George Brown College. It is used predominately for finding where my classrooms are for my courses at George Brown College.

George Brown College Micro-Moments

This is my primary function of the app as I want-to-go to my classrooms is my main concern when at the college. From looking at the app there is a lot of I-Want-to-Know moments telling you information on anything involving the college like class cancellations or latest newsletters on each event at George Brown College.



                                                                         GBC App provided by GBC Twitter

I feel like George Brown College app is not mobile friendly. There is too much content, especially in the George Brown College newsletter section. People read less on mobile phones than they do on desktops. So that is something the George Brown college should be aware of.

                                                     Conclusion

A lot of people use only a few apps on their mobile phone, that is the reason why I really did not have any stories to share on either the George Brown College or the Microsoft Teams app as I just started using them. TheScore App is my most popular social app that I use on my free time, and my other two main apps are WhatsApp for group work and having fun, and Google Maps for getting to the location I want to go to in Toronto.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toronto Wolfpack - Pro Rugby League Team

Toronto Wolfpack - 2019 Championship Season Rugby League

Toronto Football Club - Major League Soccer Season 2019